Just Shy of Paradise

Just Shy of Paradise
BUY HERE

Saturday, May 24, 2014

Even Though I LOVE it, It's Still Hard Work.



Today I worked at the Cache Valley Gardener's Market, trying to sell my creative work. I spent most of Thursday unloading the kiln, then waxing the bottoms of the pots, decorating, then dipping each piece in a bucket of glaze, that I hand-mixed--measuring and stirring and screening ingredients--then cleaning each piece by hand, then loading each piece one by one into the kiln. Friday I made some more pottery that won't be finished until next week. Friday night I wrapped pottery in newspaper, packed it into boxes, then my husband helped me load all the wares, boxes and boxes worth into the back of the Subaru. Then on Saturday morning, we unloaded the kiln, then finished packing the new work into boxes, then finished loading the car. Then we drove to Logan from Avon, backed into the spot we were assigned--unloaded all the ware and set it up on two banquet tables. At the end of our four-hour work day, we loaded it all back up again. And unloaded it again when we got home.

Why am I telling you, my unknown readers all this? Because invariably someone says to me, "I bet making pottery is so relaxing." Or, "It sure must be nice having a hobby." Can you tell that I find those comments just slightly annoying. I know, people mean well. They are just trying to find a way to relate to me. I often smile and explain that there is a lot of work involved. Work that I love, but none-the-less, it's still work. I don't usually go into how many hours and hours and hours, thousands upon thousands, it has taken me to learn my craft. I don't often tell them that I earned through sheer hard work a BFA in art, or that I have been creating pottery for nearly 40 years. I don't often tell them that I've had numerous failures, whole kiln loads of failures. Pots crack or glazes bubble and quite often I still fail even though it's less often than it used to be. I find the whole process enjoyable, but far from relaxing. Relaxation is sitting on a beach with a pina colada watching the waves. It's sitting on my front porch reading a novel. It's what I'm doing right now, watching an episode of Doc Martin in my big cushy recliner after working--extra hard.

2 comments:

JoLynne Lyon said...

I'm glad you give yourself a night with Doc Martin every now and then! I love your pottery.

Janet said...

Carole, I saw what you had set up and I was thinking how amazing it all looked and how much work it looked like, too and I wondered if it was all worth it. Of course, you have to love it to do it, but I hope it is worth it to you, too. Do you sell much on the web or is it mostly going to the art and craft shows? One of the craft people that was at a show in Chester said they did not make a profit at all, just loved doing it, I hope you make a profit. Your wares are so beautiful but the creating and then marketing I can see would be very hard. Glad you get to put your feet up once in awhile--but then you are writing, aren't you? We all admire your many talents anyway, if that means anything.